The Best Restaurant in Ahmedabad, Café Upper Crust, brings you heavenly titbits to dig into! Frankly, nothing we feel can beat the fantabulous pies from the western shores!
800g Potato, sliced into 5mm rounds
50g unsalted butter, plus 25g (optional)
2 large (not mild) Onions, halved and thinly sliced
½ small pack of thyme
2 Cox’s apples
Splash of Lemon Juice
500g all-butter shortcrust pastry, defrosted if frozen
Plain Flour, for dusting
175g mature Lancashire cheese, or cheddar, grated or crumbled
Beaten Egg (to glaze)
Pickled Cabbage or beets, to serve (optional)
- Boil salted water in a pan, followed by cooking the potatoes for 8 minutes, just until little tender and not falling apart (kind of soft but firm not gooey). Drain them, and leave to steam-dry in the colander
- Next, heat the (unsalted if available) butter in a wide pan. Mix in the onions, seasoning, and the thyme. Followed by covering and cooking for 8 minutes until transparent, and start turning in golden peels, but not brown or charred!
- Wash and rinse the Apples thoroughly, and Peel and Slice them. Toss the slices in with the lemon juice.
- Cook these lemon-soaked apple slices along with the onions in the previously used pan for 5 minute without covering the lid on the pan. Do not forget to keep stirring the items all through the while. Mix in the tenderized potatoes, and then leave the pan and items to cool off. Lastly, take out the thyme from the pan, as it is now not required in the dish.
- Cut just about two-thirds of the pastry from the entire block, and squash it and form into a round. Roll out this squashed block onto a flour-dusted surface until large enough to line a deep 23cm loose-bottomed tart tin. The little excess should be kept out overhanging from the tin’s sides. Fill the pastry case with layers of the potato and apple mix (which we have prepared) and 1 tbsp of the cheese!
- Use the rest of the butter, and season generously. Brush the overhanging edge of the pastry with the beaten egg fluid. Preheat your oven to 190C/170C or fan/gas 5, and park a baking tray in the oven to heat up.
- Contour the remaining pastry into a round, then roll out until just large enough to cover the top of the pie. Firmly fold and press the edges together. Carefully trim the pie by pressing your thumb against the rim of the baking tin all the way around. Brush the inner surface with egg, then cut tiny slits which should allow the released steam to escape easily. Carefully transfer the pie onto the hot baking sheet (possibly by sliding from one to the other surface), and cook for 1 hour. Sprinkle the remaining cheese when there are 10 minutes to go and keep until the pastry and cheese turn a bit golden.
- Serve warm or eat cold with the pickled cabbage or beets, as garnished or as accompaniments.
Stay tuned for more such recipes from the Best Bakery in Ahmedabad! If you desire to change more such delicacies right now, you can also visit the Best Restaurant in Ahmedabad — Café Upper Crust!
Disclaimer: Our Recipes are aimed to provide a healthy guide to making oven or dessert items within the comfort & ease of your home kitchens. Such cooking results may differ from those results of professional chefs’ practices & recipes. These recipes may or may not be available at our eatery outlets, at the time of posting these blogs.