When you don’t have even an inch of time, these easy-to-make, kid-friendly homemade cinnamon roll cookies are tiny, adorable, and taste like sweet heavenly bites! One of our favorite sugar cookie recipe, with a buttery cinnamon sugar filling, and vanilla icing drizzle, these “Cinnamon rolls-cookies” are just plain good for a quick bite or even supper for you and your kids! From the experts from The Best Bakery in Ahmedabad, Café Upper’s kitchen, — The Cinnamon Roll Cookies Recipe.
Cinnamon Roll Cookies Recipe
- 2 and 1/4 cups (281g) all-purpose flour (spoon & leveled)
- 1/2 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 3/4 cup (170g) unsalted butter, softened to room temperature
- 3/4 cup (150g) granulated sugar
- 1 large egg, at room temperature
- 2 teaspoons pure vanilla extract
- 2 Tablespoons (15g) butter, melted and slightly cooled
- 1/4 cup (50g) granulated sugar
- 1 Tablespoon ground cinnamon
- 1 cup (120g) confectioners’ sugar
- 3 Tablespoons (45ml) milk
- 1/2 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
Make the dough:
- Mix & Whisk the flour, baking powder, and salt together until uniform.
- Beat the softened butter, with a hand mixer fitted with the paddle attachment for 1 minute on high speed until it turns smooth and creamy.
- Next, beat in the granulated sugar, for no more than 2 minutes on medium-high speed, until completely smooth and creamy.
- Next, add the vanilla extract and egg, and beat on high until uniformly combined — should take only about 1 minute. Scrape down the sides and bottom of the bowl if necessary.
- Add the remaining dry ingredients to the wet ingredients, and mix on low speed until thoroughly merged together!
- If your dough still seems too soft, you must add 1 Tablespoon more flour, until it turns into a better consistency for rolling.
Shape and fill:
Divide the base cookie dough into 2 equal parts. Roll out each segment to about 1/4″ thickness, in a rectangle (about 9 by 7 inches) onto a lightly floured, silicone baking mat (or floured parchment paper).
Spread 1 Tablespoon of melted butter onto each rectangle segment. Mix the granulated sugar and cinnamon together, then evenly sprinkle over each rectangle portion.
Beginning to work very slowly, but swiftly and firmly, roll up each rectangle into a 9-inch log tightly!
If your cookie dough begins cracking at all, smooth it out using your fingers. Don’t worry, as a very few tiny, cracks are acceptable.
Chill the logs of dough for at least 2 hours in a deep freezer or plain icemaker compartment of the refrigerator.
What you can do is — Cautiously transfer each such log onto a cutting board or plate, and loosely cover using a plastic wrap.
Preheat your oven to 350°F (177°C). Line a large baking sheet with parchment paper or a silicone baking mat. (Always recommended for cookies!)
Take out the dough logs from the refrigerator/freezer, and immediately cut each log into 1/2 inch slices.
[NOTE: Do not let the logs thaw or defrost! You need to do this quickly, and put the sliced pieces in the oven immediately!]
Arrange the slices onto baking sheets, setting about 2 inches apart, and bake for 10-11 minutes, until lightly browned on the sides.
After removing from your oven, allow them to cool on the baking sheet for 5 or so minutes. Afterward, transfer onto a wire rack to cool completely before beginning the icing.
Make the icing:
Whisk all of the icing ingredients together. Lightly, but uniformly Drizzle over the entire surface area of the Cinnamon Roll cookies. Cover and store cookies at room temperature, and use them within 5 days!
Expert Café Upper Crust Tip
Always roll the cookie dough out on a silicone baking mat instead of a floured counter because it makes clean up easier!
Disclaimer: Our Recipes are aimed to provide a healthy guide to making oven or dessert items within the comfort & ease of your home kitchens. Such cooking results may differ from those results of professional chefs’ practices & recipes. These recipes may or may not be available at our eatery outlets, at the time of posting these blogs.