From our experts at The Best Bakery in Ahmedabad, Café Upper’s kitchen, a sweet something to make for your kids to have a bite of during supper or hunger pangs between meals. Our ‘Fresh Apple Cake’ is packed with nutrients, making it a healthy option — even for your kids’ tiffin boxes for their break-hour at school! From the ovens of Café Upper Crust, a nifty recipe for replenishing your kid’s tummies — at school or at home!
- 2 tablespoons unsalted butter, softened
- 3 cups plus 2 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 2 cups granulated sugar
- 1 1/2 cups vegetable oil
- 3 large eggs
- 1/2 cup orange juice
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1/2 teaspoon kosher salt
- 2 to 2 1/2 cups peeled, cored, and finely diced sweet apples
- 1 cup walnuts, finely chopped
- 3/4 cup granulated sugar
- 6 tablespoons (3/4 stick) unsalted butter
- 1/3 cup buttermilk
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- To make the cake: Preheat your oven to 325 degrees F or approximately 160-165 degrees Centigrade. Mix well together with the softened butter with 2 tablespoons of the flour until it all turns into a paste-like consistency. In a 10-inch Bundt pan, spread and paint this flour and butter paste with a pastry brush until the pan is well-coated on the inner sides.
- beat the sugar, oil, and eggs using an electric mixer until silky-smooth. Next, add the orange juice and vanilla extract, mixing thoroughly. Sift together the baking soda, cinnamon, salt, and the remaining 3 cups of flour in a different bowl. Add this flour mixture to the sugar mixture and continue to beat well for a few minutes. Next, Stir in the Apples and Walnuts.
- Pour the batter into the Bundt pan, and bake until a toothpick inserted in the cake comes out clean. This should take about 1 hour 30 minutes. Take out the cake from your oven, and let it cool in the pan for 15 minutes. Turn the cake out onto a cake plate.
- Making the glaze: Pour in the sugar, butter, buttermilk, and baking soda in a large saucepan, bringing to a boil. Continue boiling the mixture 5 to for about 10 minutes until it thickens slightly, and begins to turn into a little bit light brown in color. Remove from the heat.
- Take a toothpick, and punch 15 to 20 holes on the top surface of the Cake, and pour the glaze over the cake. Let the cake sit and cool before serving. You can store the cake in an airtight cake carrier in the refrigerator for up to 2 weeks.
In Conclusion, Café Upper crust’s Recipes are aimed to provide a healthy guide to making oven or dessert items within the comfort & ease of your home kitchens. Such cooking results may differ from those results of professional chefs’ practices & recipes. These recipes may or may not be available at our eatery outlets, at the time of posting these blogs.