From our Experts at The Best Bakery in Ahmedabad, Café Upper’s kitchen, a mischievous and delightful something to make for your kids or adults to have a bite of during supper or hunger pangs between meals. Our Unique Recipe Series brings to you Our best ever 50 Most-Popular Health-Boosting Recipes! Be it for your kids’ tiffin boxes for their break-hour at school, or if you are looking to switch to a healthier alternative for lunch as well as dinner! From the ovens of Café Upper Crust, a nifty recipe for replenishing your kids tummies — at school or at home! Let us begin with the best ever Salad for the quickest, easiest to make snack ever!
46: Lentil Vegetable Soup
- 1 pound French green lentils
- 4 cups chopped yellow onions (3 large onions)
- 4 cups chopped leeks, white part only (2 leeks)
- 1 tablespoon minced garlic (3 cloves)
- 1/4 cup good olive oil, plus additional for drizzling on top
- 1 tablespoon kosher salt
- 1 1/2 teaspoons freshly ground black pepper
- 1 tablespoon minced fresh thyme leaves or 1 teaspoon dried
- 1 teaspoon ground cumin
- 3 cups medium-diced celery (8 stalks)
- 3 cups medium-diced carrots (4 to 6 carrots)
- 3 quarts chicken stock
- 1/4 cup tomato paste
- 2 tablespoons red wine or red wine vinegar
- Freshly grated Parmesan cheese
- Take a large bowl, and drop in the Lentils along with boiling water and allow to sit for 15 minutes. Cover the lentils, and later on drain the water off.
- Next, Saute the onions, leeks, and garlic with the olive oil, salt, pepper, thyme, and cumin in a large stockpot on medium heat for 20 minutes, until the vegetables turn translucent and feel or appear very tender. Add in the Celery and Carrots, and continue to saute further for 10 minutes. Next, add the chicken stock, tomato paste, and lentils.
- Cover the pan or whatever utensil you used and bring the entire recipe to a boil.
- Reduce the level of flame or heat, and further continue to simmer for 1 hour with your utensil uncovered until — making sure that — the lentils are cooked thoroughly till the turn soft & mushy.
- Take on the seasonings, beginning with adding in the Red Wine.
- Prepare to Serve hot, with olive oil drizzled all over, and grated Parmesan sprinkled evenly, just as in a Pizza!
Disclaimer: Our Recipes are aimed to provide a healthy guide to making oven or dessert items within the comfort & ease of your home kitchens. Such cooking results may differ from those results of professional chefs’ practices & recipes. These recipes may or may not be available at our eatery outlets, at the time of posting these blogs.